Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel integrated graphics problem with Lucid

Beans

Intel integrated graphics problem with Lucid

Hi,
    the integrated graphics of an Intel Core i5 540 does not work on Ubuntu 10.04. I could upgrade from 9.10, but the monitor is black. I can hear the sound of the login screen, but the screen is just black. If I boot with the older kernel 2.6.31.22 (instead of 2.6.32.23) it works with no problem. The live CD does not work either. On Launchpad somebody reported similar things, but I couldn't find a clean solution.
    Any idea?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Intel integrated graphics problem with Lucid

If it works with the old kernel and not the newest one it would probably be best to just use the older one for now. It is only a month or so older than the current one, it was released after 10.04, so it's not like it is some outdated piece of junk. This is the reason why old kernels are saved on your system, because sometimes new kernels can cause hardware issues. If you are lucky the next kernel, which will probably be released in just over a month, won't have the same issue. There is, however, nothing wrong with trying to figure out what's causing the problem, of course.

Beans

The point is that other things do not work with this kernel, like the speakers (work on newer kernel), the brightness control (can't say) or wireless (can't say either).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

have you tried booting with i915.modeset=1 or nomodeset as your grub setting? (Press shift on boot to display the list of kernels - press e and add one of the options immediately before quiet splash)
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans

Yes, I tried that, but doesn't work (I think that's meant for nvidia cards). The system blocks, with black screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

some intel graphics you need to turn off kms - boot with i915.modeset=0. Does that work?
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans

I tried that, but it doesn't work...
    I really hope a new kernel comes out soon, because it's disappointing having to choose between sound and video (not) working...

Beans

I have a newly purchased Dell Latitude E5510 and did a clean install on it with 10.04. I did not encounter any problem with the graphics. The kernel I am using is 2.6.32-24-generic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Intel integrated graphics problem with Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Spirited View Post
    I have a newly purchased Dell Latitude E5510 and did a clean install on it with 10.04. I did not encounter any problem with the graphics. The kernel I am using is 2.6.32-24-generic.
    Hi Guys,
    We are experiencing the same *****, and we use ubuntu as dev laptops (as I'm pushing ubuntu more than windows 7 for our company . Has anyone tried to get the latest 10.10 working on the e5510?

I think I might try it out - I'll report back if there is some hope.

Beans

Using kernel 2.6.35, the (stable) kernel from Ubuntu 10.10, inside 10.04 works 100% on my HP 8440p. And, incidentally, it also solves some problems I had with my wireless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast